Thursday, November 14, 2013

Who I ran for

Today would have been my Aunt Melanie's 44th birthday. She is definitely on my mind. In rememberance of her  I am wearing the ring and necklace my grandfather brought her back from Egypt in 1973, just to feel like I have a piece of her with me. Last month I did something for the first time in her honour. I participated in the CIBC Run for the Cure. I am not an athletic person in the least, but something got into me this fall and for the very first time I participated in a run/walk for Diabetes and the Run for Breast Cancer.

I didn't really properly train, and I am not in shape like I was in summer 2012, so I did a mix of running and walking, but I am okay with that. The important thing is that I got out there and did it. I am hoping that next year if I train all summer I will be able to run the whole schmeer no problem.

The Diabetes run was really small in comparison. The CIBC run had a more festival like atmosphere. It was neat seeing some of the team names that people came up with. People were decked out in pink boas wigs etc. I don't think the rain dampened anyone's spirits There were over 1500 participants at my location, a wee bit more than the 40 at the Diabetes run.

 It was alot more emotional than I thought it would be more so seeing the survivors in their special pink tees wishing Mel was one of them. It was kind of crazy just seeing so many people affected by this disease. It was great seeing all the men supporting them too. The local MP participated which was nice to see. I has my pic taken with some fire fighter's in pink suits. I will leave you with a pic of Mel's ring and of me at the race with the firefighters.

 photo temporary_zps078281e7.jpg

 photo firemanedit_zps2205fa46.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment