Saturday, January 11, 2014

Taking on big responsibilty behind the seams

The New York blog is coming I promise! First I have some exciting news to share. For the past 5 or 6 years I have been involved with local theatre groups, first with just front of house stuff ushering etc. In the past couple years, I have gotten more involved with the production side of things working with costumes. I have previously blogged about my various hallowe'en costumes over the past few years and how that connects with my love of theatre so this shouldn't come as a surprise.

During the course of my time assisting on 6 different shows I have altered  a $600 shirt (among other various alterations), made puppets (Both amphibian and human), built corsets, skirts, pants, Disney inspired Princess dresses, sewed buttons and trim, built an octopus costume from a vintage coat to name a few projects. I plan to one day have a blog relating some of my successes and failures, some of my more interesting stories from behind the seams. A couple of times I have been credited as a costume assistant. I had my own little bio in programme of the last show I worked on. I have taken a bit of a break because it can be intense working on a show, even with out all of the responsibility on your shoulders especially when there are 200 costumes required.

I have wanted to work on this one show since last spring. I have the broadway soundtrack and saw it a few years ago. I figured it would be a good show to cut my teeth on for designing a show on my own, because it is a small cast of 9 and only takes place over a single day with very little costume changes. Believe it or not that makes a HUGE difference, for example if you have a cast of 20 and the play takes place over the course of 3 days that instantly triples your costume count to 60, a different outfit for each day etc, plus whatever else might be required.

Last week when I saw that auditions were being held for the show I emailed the director expressing my interest in doing costumes and she put me in touch with the producer. (I had worked with the director before when she was an actress in the last show) I didn't hear anything back for a few days after I replied to an initial email saying they would like to meet and discuss things. Yesterday I got an email asking if I could meet them this morning, of course I said YES (but avoiding saying with bells on).

Today I arrived with a headful of ideas as having sketches would be a little presumptuous. I left being welcomed aboard with a script in my hand. The director is really cool she is visual and wants a lot of input from me, which is nice, it sounds like I will have a lot of creative freedom. The seat could even be influenced by my colour palette! This is such a big responsibility, that I am both excited and scared about! *Deep calming breath* I  hope I do it justice. I am just a self-taught sewer with a love of theatre, fashion and clothing, but I have learned a lot in the past couple years.  I am just really honoured and grateful that I have been entrusted with this and I've got this opportunity. This is my chance to shine and to prove to myself and everyone that I can do this! I will have my Tim Gunn moment and make it work!

No comments:

Post a Comment