Tuesday, March 4, 2014

And sew it begins

I have officially started work on costumes the show. Less than 2 months until opening night! Last night I started by taking cast measurements. I really had only done it a bit on the last show, but it went pretty well. I only have 3 people left to measure. I think measuring another person is rather intimate because you are in such close proximity. With my little arms I was more or less hugging people as I was trying to get the measure tape around their chests and waists etc. One trick I picked up from the last costume designer I worked with was measuring the guys to the sides when measuring their hips so so your hands don't accidentally slip somewhere they are not supposed to! Also asking them to hold the tape when doing the inseams. I couldn't help thinking about the episode of Friends where Chandler goes to Joey's tailor and was measured shall we say inappropriately and how I didn't want it go down like that. I didn't find it nearly hard as I thought it was going to be being 4'9" measuring someone over 6 feet. I was expecting to have to use a stool, but I didn't need it after all.

It was alot harder than I thought it was going to be just to grab people during a quiet moment, because of the nature of the show, alot of the cast is on stage at all times. One of my LOL moments was when a buddy of mine Kevin came over when he had a second and said "do me, do me quick."

While I was waiting, I started to go through the immense wardrobe area for which you need a moving scaffolding and a clothing hook to getting certain things down. There are about three long rows of clothes, and each one has another row suspended on top of that.  The theatre group moved to a new facility and it's not quite as easily accessible as the old storage area. I did manage to pull a couple pieces that could work. Now it is a matter of finalizing my ideas for the characters, pulling, shopping (I am sure my mom would love to come to Value Village with me) and altering. The producer also wants me to estimate what kind of budget I will need, keeping in mind that this is community theatre and there is no money ;O)  I am sitting down with the director on the weekend to show her my ideas etc. Enough blogging time to get back to work, I will leave you with a pic of our storage area, hope I don't get lost!

 photo temporary_zpseda1198c.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment